December 28, 2018. The General Meeting of GC RAS took place in the Green Hall of the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Acting Director of GC RAS, Corresponding Member of RAS Anatoly Alexandrovich Soloviev made a presentation on the results of the activities of GC RAS in 2018. In the course of his speech, A. A. Soloviev listed the projects of GC RAS, their leaders and responsible performers. He also reported on the results and features of each project. Then he announced the most important results and performers:
• New Magnetic Observatory "White Sea" - Corr. Member of RAS A. A. Soloviev, Doctor of Physics and Mathematics A. V. Khokhlov, Ph.D. R. I. Krasnoperov, Ph.D. R. V. Sidorov, Ph. D. M. N. Dobrovolsky, D. V. Kudin, A. A. Grudnev;
• Method of determining the movements and deformations of the Earth's crust on the basis of GNSS observations - Academician A.D. Gvishiani, D.Sc. V.I. Kaftan, Dr. Sc. V.N. Tatarinov;
• Expert GIS-oriented database for seismic hazard assessment for the Caucasus and Crimea regions - Corr. Member of RAS An. A. Soloviev, Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences A. D. Gvishiani, Corr. Member of RAS Al. A. Soloviev, Ph. D. B. A. Dzeboev, B. P. Nikolov, Yu. I. Nikolova;
• Dynamic visualization of the geospatial database on a digital demonstration complex with a spherical screen using ORBUS 2.0 software – Ph.D. A. I. Rybkina, A. A. Odintsova, O. O. Samokhina, S. V. Presnyakov
• Development of the Journal of the Russian Journal of Earth Sciences - Ph. D. E. O. Kedrov, Ph. D. V. A. Nechitailenko, S. A. Nekhoroshev, O. V. Aleksanova
Anatoly Alexandrovich spoke in detail about the expedition and field work. In the past year, the geography was extensive, so the researchers of GC RAS conducted work on the following objects:
• White Sea Biological Station, Moscow State University, Karelia - field research, construction and deployment of a new magnetic observatory "White Sea".
• Magnetic Observatory "Klimovskaya", Arkhangelsk Region. - carrying out field and technical works. Scientific audit of the observatory.
• Samoilovsky Island, Yakutia - conducting field research to determine the construction sites of the promising magnetic observatory pavilions.
• Mutnovsky volcano, Kamchatka - expedition of the Mutnovsky volcanological school.
• Paratunka Magnetic Observatory, Kamchatka - internship at the Paratunka Observatory.
• Kakheti, Georgia - a geological expedition to study the sediments of the Konka region of the Eastern Paratethys.
A. A. Soloviev listed the most important conferences in which researchers of GC RAS participated.
Further, Anatoly Alexandrovich announced the main indicators of the publication activity of GC RAS, special attention was given to publications in journals with a high impact factor. He also listed the results of the intellectual activity of GC RAS.
• In the outgoing year, researchers of GC RAS joined Russian and international committees, councils, organizations: A. D. Gvishiani - member of the IIASA innovative transformation steering group; IIASA Honorary Scholar; Member of the European Science Foundation (ESF College of Expert Reviewers). A. A. Soloviev - Member of the National Committee on the International Program "Future Earth" under the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
• A. I. Rybkina - Vice-President of CODATA at the International Council on Science; Co-chair of the Group on Earth Observations data exchange at GEO.
• V. I. Kaftan - member of the dissertation council of MIIGAiK.
• S. A. Lebedev - member of the dissertation council of the P. P. Shirshov Institute of Oceanology of RAS; certificate of honor for contribution to the development of new and promising scientific fields in Tver State University.
Further, he dwelt on the scientific cooperation of GC RAS, the organizational and economic activity of the scientific seminar, as well as the activities of the National Geophysical Committee of RAS.
In conclusion, Acting Director of GC RAS Anatoly Soloviev noted that in the outgoing year, the highly professional team of GC RAS did a lot of work and congratulated them on the upcoming New Year, wished interesting projects and new scientific achievements in Earth sciences.